The Stained Waters of LSL

As the lake-lore goes, a saw mill that was operating in Suckerville near Little Sebago was responsible for the stained waters of the upper basin. The sawdust from the mill somehow ended up in the lake causing the tea-colored water. We are looking for information on where exactly that mill was and the story behind it. Here’s one possible lead (or two) that we have found so far.

A saw mill was built around 1859 in Suckerville (an area of Gray to the west of Dry Mills) originally powered by water, then steam later(1). In 1896 it burned down. The owner, Mathew Morrill, started to rebuild it, but it burned down again before being completed. Was this the legendary mill near Little Sebago’s upper basin?

The photo was taken in 1887 of a sawmill in Suckerville(2). Though a reference is not available to collaborate, if it is Mr. Morrill’s, the location makes it seem likely as it is referenced to be on Egypt Road by the Farwell Bog. Mr. Morrill also made a couple of land purchases in 1876 that look like they were on Egypt Road, one in Raymond, and an abutting property in Gray(3). Could this have been used for expansion if the location is correct?

If anyone out there can collaborate any of this and narrow down the old mill’s location, that would be great. Was it originally powered by Farwell Stream and then over the 37 years the operations expanded into Gray while upgrading to steam power? We’d love to hear from anyone who might have some insight or old family documents/pictures of the operation. Please email

(2), page 9
(3)Cumberland Real Property Records,

Back to News